A brand new crowdfunded documentary is in the works to celebrate the golden period of horror in the 1980’s.
In Search of Darkness is bringing together some of horrors well known faces to discuss the era, including Don Mancini, Jeffrey Combs, Sean S. Cunningham, and Leigh Whannell amongst others.
The 1980’s exploded onto our screens in a veritable feast of blood, sweat, and chills. Madmen, killers, and evil spirits mingled with aliens, demons and cursed dolls; horrific images burnt directly onto our retinas and etched permanently into our brains. And we loved it.
Here’s what will feature in the documentary –
- Learn about the era from the perspective of the masters who frightened us, the directors of today who were inspired by them, and the new generation of social media influencers who have fallen in love with the genre.
- Hear from the actors, writers, directors, producers, and composers who brought horror icons such as Freddy Krueger, Jason Vorhees, Michael Myers and Pinhead to the screen.
- Delve into the imagery: the garish VHS covers and poster art that seduced us and came to define the ’80s horror aesthetic.
- Re-examine the socio/political context that inspired our favourite movies – fears of nuclear war, violent crime, and deadly diseases.
- Explore the rise of the B-Movie superstars: Bruce Campbell, Jeffrey Combs, and Robert Englund; stars that could guarantee success for what was an otherwise overlooked sub-genre.
- Investigate how the explosion of VHS enabled these icons of horror to take the leap from the movie screen into our homes and created new opportunities for low-budget filmmakers.
- Examine the role of practical in-camera effects, animatronics, and prosthetics played in scaring us in a time before CGI.
- Discuss the importance of the ’80s horror genre and its impact on society, including how its violent and explicit imagery opened-up new political, sociological, and cultural discussion.
You can back In Search of Darkness on Kickstarter HERE